Keeping Resolutions : Fitness & Getting Started February 5, 2014
As I mentioned earlier last week, I am focusing a lot on my resolutions and making sure I keep them throughout the year. For the past 6 months I have made exercise a big part of my life, and that is something I want to continue. One of my resolutions is to continue on this path of clean eating and health conscious exercise.
Most of the questions that I get regarding my new healthier lifestyle, are how I got started and motivated, and if I have any advice for people wanting to make a change.I wanted to list my top 5 tips on how to get back to feeling healthier, and creating a better you! My tips are just some starting points for newbies in the gym. These are things that have helped me over time. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to email me at littletreevintage (at) gmail.com.
1. Get some kickass workout gear. I always sit and brag about how awesome Marshalls is for workout gear, and in the new year, they still have not disappointed. For someone who is buying a lot of different workout clothes, they are the best place for me to shop. They always have a great selection, and they always have awesome brands that won’t dent my wallet. One of my favorite pieces is this sweatshirt , it’s so cozy, and is perfect for those colder gym days. But yeah, look good to feel good. They go hand in hand, you want to get something you feel good and confident in. Also- a good pair of sneakers goes a long way!
2. Don’t be intimidated by the “weights” area. I know going into a gym can be crazy intimidating for those of us who don’t normally go in there. The weight area is usually filled with beefy guys and they’re all benching or pressing hundreds of pounds, and you’re probably thinking “WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?” In times like this I say, forget them, and focus on yourself. What helps me stay on track is by writing down the exercises I want to do before hand, and keeping them on my phone. If I know what I need to do, I can get in and out of there quickly, and I can remember each exercise if I happen to forget.
3. Food is important! Some people think they can keep all of the same habits, while adding some workouts to their routine.. WRONG. You will just be cancelling out the work you do if you continue to eat poorly, so it’s important that the two go hand in hand. Once your body gets used to the new routine and eating habits, you’ll start to see results. An important way to keep track of your food intake, is by using apps like My Fitness Pal. There’s also tons of apps out there that can help you stay on track. It’s also important to plan ahead. I eat about 5-6 meals a day. (3 main meals, and 2-3 snacks) you want to make sure that your food is planned out for the day before going to work, or before being out for a long time. If you don’t plan and hunger kicks in, sometimes it’s easier to go for the non-healthy quick option, and you don’t want that.
4. MUSIC. Working out without music is like cooking without food. YOU CAN’T DO IT. Make yourself a sick playlist, something that energizes you, and put it in your phone or on your ipod. This will make the workout go by faster, and will keep you motivated if you’re having a difficult time pushing yourself. Usually, if I hear a song I love, it will keep me going at least until the song is over, and by then I have forgotten the fact that I didn’t want to keep going in the first place!
5. Make sure you rest. I started working out and jumped right into 6-7 days a week almost literally killing every muscle in my body. You have to make sure to give yourself a rest day, and make sure you’re treating your body right. Start off small, and don’t rush into it, your healthy body isn’t going to come overnight. It takes time just like everything else, so just make sure you are patient, and the results will come.
Hat // Sneakers // Dachshund Tote
I love these little helpful tips. I'm still trying to figure out my workout routine as I'm adjusting to a school/work schedule. Also, I'm in love with that hat!xoxoTaylorwww.welcomehometaylor.com
Nikki Williams says
that beanie is too cute! and great tips! xxoo,nikkiwww.dreaminneon.blogspot.com
Food is really important, so many girls forget that. And when I look cute, I feel like I can work out a whole lot better!xo. Kailagh
The Little Londoner's Life says
I love your beanie hat & sneakers!! xo
Love the cute Nike shoes! These are such great tips. You are so right about the diet – so important
Maria - Crafty Owl says
Really great tips!I started the 30 Day Shred a couple of weeks ago because there's not a gym near where I live, and so far I'm loving doing some exercise. And about the music, the first days it was a bit boring but then I thought "let's see what spotify has" and I found a lot of workout playlists.Maria xcraftyowl93.blogspot.com
Jenna Condon says
this post was so helpful 🙂 loved it. http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/2014/02/finding-your-style-what-works-for-your.html
Melissa at bubbyandbean.com says
You look amazing babe! And these are great tips! I have a goal to get the rest of the baby weight (I'm almost 2/3 done!) off by the end of March. I can't get to the gym with a newborn but these are great tips for home too.