Thank you First Alert for sponsoring this post. Help protect your home and family with voice and location alarms from First Alert!
Good afternoon everyone! Today’s post is a little different than my usual post, but it is something that is very personal to me, and my family. I don’t normally share every intimate detail of my life online so most and this is a story I have kept to myself due to the amount of stress and hurt it caused my family. If you, or anyone you know has ever encountered a fire, you’ll know how terrifying it is and how much it can change your entire life.
For as long as I can remember my parents have wanted to own a house by the beach. Both of them grew up on islands in the Mediterranean and they love the ocean air, water, and overall vibe of being near the beach. For years they casually looked- never fully making a decision, until the right house appeared. Once my parents purchased the house, the construction began to fix it up. The roof was first since it was very old. Unfortunately some of the materials used in the roofing process ignited and carried with the wind which caused a slow fire that eventually engulfed the entire home in flames. Luckily, none of us were at the house, none of our belongings, and no one was harmed.
Someone notified us that the house was on fire and we were all heartbroken. The next few months and year following were used to reconstruct the home and now it is beautifully renovated with no signs that the fire even occurred. This entire process was very hard for my family, and it left us very scared of anything ever happening again- especially due to the high winds where our beach house is located.
Since this has taken place, we have taken many security measures to make sure nothing like this happens again, and more importantly if it does, that we are all safe, and can safely exit our home. We have hardwired alarms put into the entire home, and we also have put in these first alert alarms. These alarms offer voice technology which woke 86 to 91% of children, prompting 84 to 86% to successfully escape procedure within five minutes of the alarm’s onset. Studies show that voice technology and location technology helps children wake up when there’s an emergency at home.*
Now that we have a family of our own, safety is at the forefront of our minds. These alarms from First Alert are 10 year sealed battery alarms that offer location and voice alerts. It’s also great that they combine smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. It’s nice knowing that you can rest easy and not replace these items for 10 whole years.
10-year alarm benefits:
- More saving: No costly battery replacements for the life of the alarm
- Hassle-free: No more climbing up the ladder to change batteries
- No late night low-battery chirps
Some tips for keeping your home safe are:
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level and in every bedroom of your home.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms regularly
- Replace batteries every six months or upgrade to 10-year sealed battery alarms to eliminate the need for battery replacements for the life of the alarms
- Alarms don’t last forever, remember to replace your alarms at least every ten years
- Plan and practice an escape route with your family.
- Prizes: (5) First Alert 10-Year Sealed Battery Alarm kits. (ARV $119.94)
- Dates: May 2 – May 9
- Entry Options: Readers may enter the giveaway via the widget with the following options:
- Follow the brand on Twitter
- Visit the brand page on Facebook
- Visit the brand page on Instagram
- Notification: Winners will be randomly selected and notified by CLEVER on May 10
- Terms & Conditions: The official Terms & Conditions are included in the widget; here are the high-level eligibility criteria:
- Age 18+
- US resident only
- Only one winner per household