I’m Judging You Book Review October 14, 2016
Many of you don’t know this , but I am a HUGE book worm. I love to read, and am so glad that I got a chance to read “I’m judging you” by Luvvie Ajayi. If you guys don’t know who Luvvie is, here are some fun facts.
- Luvvie was listed in Oprah Winfrey’s inaugural Supersoul 100 list and was honored as the 2016 Influencer of the Year at the Iris Awards
- Luvvie is passionate about social justice and is equally addicted to shoes. She brought these loves together in 2009 when she, along with Karyn Brianne Lee, founded The Red Pump Project.
- She is a past winner of the Women’s Media Center’s Social Media Award for using her voice and humor for pop culture critique, gender and racial justice
Basically, she’s an all around awesome woman who stands for so many amazing things. Her debut book, I’m Judging You: The Do-Better Manual, is a series of humorous essays that dissects our cultural obsessions and calls out bad behavior in our increasingly digitally, connected lives. I think what I love most about the book is her brutal honesty, and how she basically says everything most people want to say, but are too afraid to.
Although I love reading, I haven’t read a book cover to cover in YEARS. This book had me dying for more. I couldn’t put it down! I finished the entire thing in about 3 days and that’s only because I forced myself to sleep and not continue reading throughout the night- it’s that good. Since I don’t want to give the book away, I am going to tell you guys some of my favorite chapters(and a short synopsis), and you can read on your own.
- Chapter 15: Your Facebook is my favorite soap opera- basically talking about an online relationship and how it comes to fruition. This includes quotes, couple albums, the breakup, etc. She talks about how millennials share too much on social media, and how we often regret it. It’s so relateable and funny that I laughed throughout the whole chapter.
- Chapter 6: Don’t be pigpen- She discusses personal hygiene and how it’s unacceptable to walk out of the house looking like a hot mess and how to “check yourself.”
- Chapter 4: Under the knife-Let’s just say the chapter starts off by talking about a body part that you can bleach, and it’s HILARIOUS. She then talks more seriously about our obsession with plastic surgery as a whole, and why people choose to do what they do.
I really can’t do this book justice, so you’re going to have to read a copy for yourself. It’s funny, entertaining, honest and more importantly- exactly what we need to be reading right now. Definitely put “i’m judging you” on your holiday wish list.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.